Thursday 14 June 2012

Back to work

I have been busy every day since I last wrote but it's been finishing little jobs off rather than starting anything new and exciting. Every quilt that is ready for exhibition this year now has a binding, label and hanging sleeve. It's essential but boring stuff that has taken me ages so I'll spare you the details! I have found a little bit of free time to practise my watercolour painting though. At the moment I'm working into a pencil sketch I did for a DMTV video in the spring.


It's still very much a work in progress as you can see from all the white paper that's left. I'm being strict with myself about allowing drying time before I add more washes. Patience was never my strong suit so it's hard to walk away.


I'm trying hard to get the accidental marks that most 'proper' painters do their best to avoid. If you know the work of Shirley Trevena you'll know exactly what I mean.


The trick I find is getting the right balance between painterly colour washes which appear completely out of control, and the necessary hard edges required to define certain shapes. Total chaos is not an option. I need lots more practise but I am enjoying trying! The garden is another distraction right now. Everything needs attention. The Iris are some of my favourites but their moment of glory is very short. I shall have to be quick if I'm to capture these in watercolour.


I attempt to paint them every summer but what difficult subjects they are. The shapes of the petals and leaves are easy enough but those amazing markings are impossible. Nature is such a show off and refuses to be outdone.


Hope you are finding a little bit of time to be creative too. Bye for now, Linda

4 comments:

  1. such luscious juicy dripping colour

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your watercolor work. I found a free watercolor online course and plan on doing more myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your are right about how tricky it is to get the Shirley Trevena affect - it is only when I watched her video that I appreciated how much work she puts into those 'accidental' effects. The iris are beautiful, but i have also found the colour just about impossible to capture in watercolour - and as for those leopard skin flecks ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I found you via Angela at Fenland Textiles.
    I am not sure how to contact you about the courses on offer so I hope it is ok to write here. I am interested in the sketchbook course. Do you gain a City and Guilds certificate with this course if you pass?

    I would very much like to gain a recognised qualification in an area that I enjoy doing.
    I can be contacted via my blog.
    Many thanks
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete